Friday, April 6, 2012

Thinking about Returning to the U.S.

On a similar note to my last post, as I think about returning to the U.S., I’ve been preparing myself for things I’m excited about and things I’m really not looking forward to (yes, there are some!).

Things I’m Excited For:

- Hot showers – with water pressure

- Electricity that never goes out

- Hi-speed Internet that always works

- No delays on the phone

- Washing machines and dryers

- Stoves, ovens, and refrigerators

- Carpet

- Trashcans, recycling, and garbage pick-up

- Driving my own car

- A high-quality mattress and pillow

- Food!

- Grocery stores

- Restaurants

- Not having bugs, rodents, reptiles, or amphibians in my house

- The gym

Things I’m Really Excited For:

- Never being called “muzungu

- Not being constantly made fun of and insulted

- Not being watched

- Not having my every action judged

- Not having people constantly poke me, rub me, or pull my hair

- Being able to silence or turn off my phone without risking infuriating somebody

Things I’m Dreading:

- Consumerism

- Waste

- Excess privilege

- Ignorance

- Lack of concern about other parts of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment