Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

As my Peace Corps service draws to a close and I prepare to leave Rwanda, I’ve been reflecting a lot on the things I’ll miss about living here, the things I won’t miss, and the things I’m just dying to get away from.

The Good: Things I’ll miss

- My close friends in Nyagatare

- My fellow volunteers

- Teaching

- The abundance and variety of plants, shrubs, trees, and flowers

- The view of the hills as I walk from my house towards town

- Speaking multiple languages everyday

- Riding motorcycles

- Dancing in church

- Getting really excited about the relative luxury of the city

- Open-air markets, where you never know what you'll find

- The sense of being/living in Africa

- Villages

- Fanta

- African tea

- The peanut sauce my best friend in Nyagatare makes

- Homemade French fries

- Passionfruit

- Tree tomatoes

- Avocados that cost less than $0.10 a piece

- Zaaffran (former volunteers who are now back home say Indian food in the States doesn't compare!)

The Bad: Things that really aren’t terrible, but that I can’t say I’ll miss

- Cooking over my little kerosene stove on the floor in the doorway

- Washing dishes in a bucket

- Hand washing my clothes

- Bucket showers

- Having lizards, roaches, caterpillars, grasshoppers, and spiders in my house

- Power outages everyday

- Constant water shortages

- Slow and unreliable Internet

- Unreliable cell phone service

- Crowded matatus that stop every five minutes

- Stumbling down rocky dirt roads in the pitch dark

- Church services that last 3+ hours

- Pre-paid cell phone and Internet credit – and inevitably running out of credit at inopportune times

- Wondering if what's served to you will be anything like the description on the menu

- People screaming “SORRY SORRY SORRY” every time you trip or drop something

The Ugly: Things I cannot wait to get away from

- Being called “muzungu” every time I leave my house, even by people who know me and know my name

- Being insulted and made fun of every single day

- Being laughed at for making an effort to learn the local language

- Being stared at

- Having every single I do be judged by the people around me

- Being poked, prodded, rubbed, and grabbed

- Having children screaming right outside my house at all hours

- Seeing my fence become more destroyed each time I'm gone overnight

- The way Rwandans make fun of other Rwandans for being friends with a muzungu

- Having people get irritated and angry every time my phone is off or miss a call

No comments:

Post a Comment